Grain Free Paleo Pancakes
- Posted on January 2, 2014
- in All Recipes (Gluten|Grain|Soy Free), Blog Posts, Breakfast, Paleo Recipes, Uncategorized
- by GGF Gourmet
Breakfast is calling! As a reminder, all of my recipes must be as follows:
- Use ingredients I already have or can obtain easily (we don’t have a Whole Foods available in close proximity)
- Be normal enough to gain approval from non-Gluten Free teenagers
- Achievable without fancy equipment (for example, currently the blades to the blender have mysteriously disappeared, and I was tired of using the mixer after all of the holiday baked goods!)
- May be “loosely measured” by this creative cook
I have seen various renditions of these pancakes and tried them on several occasions…after burning the previous variety, I think these might be the winner!
Here is what I used:
- 2 eggs
- Handful of raw cashews, finely chopped (ground would be better, but I used my hand chopper to get them as tiny as possible)
- 1 banana (the more ripe, the better)
- ¼ cup GGF Gourmet applesauce (apples, cinnamon, honey)
- Tiny bit of butter in the pan (replace with olive oil or Ghee for zero dairy)
These might have been better with the use of the blender, or at least the hand mixer. I was being very lazy with the kitchen tools; feel free to step up the effort for an even better pancake!
First, I placed everything into a large cereal bowl:
After mashing the banana with a fork, I mixed everything with a whisk.
I turned my burner to medium low, or about level 4, and placed a tiny bit of butter in the pan to coat it. The batter was fairly runny, so I added it to the pan with a large spoon until they were just larger than a silver dollar size. I do admit to hovering over the pan to avoid burning them, which I highly recommend! After just a few minutes, the edges were bubbling and I flipped them. They looked like this!
I won’t lie – I was immediately excited to see this! All of the other versions have burned or been obviously not “enough” like pancakes at this point. Looking good!
I got so excited that I got a few blueberries out of the freezer and added them to the last few pancakes. You could really add any fruit, either as topping or during the cooking process. I thought the plain ones tasted the best.
Here they are! Meet the new GGF approved pancakes. A nice set of eight pancakes in all. Packed with protein, delicious, and devoured in one sitting by my 19 year old college son who doesn’t eat anything gluten free unless there are no other choices!