Gluten Free Paleo Plantain Chips by Artisan Tropic
- Posted on March 25, 2015
- in Blog Posts, Reviews - Products & Restaurants, Snacks, Uncategorized
- by GGF Gourmet
Last weekend, I spoke at the Gluten & Allergen Free Wellness Event in Charlotte, NC. Over 1,200 people came out to try the various products and hear the speakers. It was a great crowd! I was very glad that I had a trusty assistant helping me in the booth where we were selling my line of grain free, soy free, Paleo products (meet Tiffany!)
As often happens at these shows, we were so busy that we didn’t leave the booth for most of the day. Finally Tiffany had the chance to take a break and find some snacks.
She returned very excited to share something that she thought would meet my strict ingredient requirements, just like my products do (all gluten free, grain free, soy free, dairy free, no refined sugars, additives, or flavorings; to find out why I’m so strict, read my story here).
I reviewed the ingredient labels and everything seemed to check out, so when she told me that they had samples out of everything…it was my turn for a break!
I wandered down the aisle to find the booth marked “Artisan Tropic.” I saw a refreshing array of colors and products that were all plant-based. They had dried mango, coconut, and pineapple fruit strips, but I didn’t think to take pictures of those as I was munching on the samples. They also had cassava root chips.
The owners were very kind, and although their booth was very busy, they took the time to talk with me. At the end of the show they offered me some of their delicious plantain chips to take home.
I was a very excited and grateful grain-free girl! I don’t usually find products that I can eat at the shows, so this was a real treat for me (and for Tiffany, too!)
Artisan Tropic Plantain Chips
These chips are amazing. What do I love about them? Let me count the ways!
2) They are made in a dedicated peanut and tree nut facility for those with nut allergies
3) They are certified Paleo, meaning they are Grain-Free, Legume-Free, Dairy-Free, and free of Artificial Coloring, Artificial Preservatives, Artificial Sweeteners and Artificial Flavor Enhancers, according to their website.
4) The company is committed to being non-GMO and gluten free.
6) The nutritional information indicates that these make a great option for a healthy snack!
7) The plantains come in large strips – not broken chips or little rounds – which gives them a nice heartiness, and adds to their great texture and taste.
8) If you’ve never had a plantain, they are part of the banana family, but the fruit is not as sweet. This company has developed multiple flavors that complement the fruit’s natural taste and texture.
Putting all of that aside, these chips are just simply…delicious! I love how the sea salt chips make a nice replacement for potato chips, since the salt takes away the natural sweetness of the plantains.
In contrast, the cinnamon chips are a lovely sweet treat, because the cinnamon brings out more the of natural sweetness.
Artisan Tropic sells the chips on their website, and they even have sampler case packs so you can get a variety. What a great option to pack in lunches, or for snacks on the go!
Although I’m dreaming up multiple ways to enjoy the chips, as you can see they present nicely just by themselves (we enjoyed them that evening with my 5-star guacamole recipe, yum!)
Enjoy this great snack and let me know what you think!